Thursday, August 08, 2013

stranger in a strange land

(sunset close to Jardin du Luxembourg)

I think this might be my one and only post while here in Paris. Or, come to think of it, my only post over a span of many months! Apologies dear readers, but let me explain.

Most people go to Paris and fall in love with the city. I came to Paris and all I can think about is the one I love back home, and how this city, for all its beauty, is lonely as hell without him. But now that I have one week to go, as opposed to 10 weeks, before he comes here, I can finally feel like it's going to be ok again. And wonderful.

Two and a half months is a tricky amount of time. If you're like me, and more of an introvert than anything else, you spend the first month mostly in solitude. Adjusting, little by little. I lived abroad when I was in college, but that sort of situation is set up for a social life. With a working life, it's only in the past month that I've started doing all of the things I'd normally do: going out for dinner, going to the movies, going to concerts. I'll admit that once I started doing this it's made the time go by more quickly.

I think I will leave Paris with the feeling that this city is not for me living-wise. I visited a couple of friends in Berlin a couple of weeks ago and it was just more my style (but I think I'd still pick Copenhagen if I had to pick anywhere). I'm not sure I'll ever master the French bise. And I'm more excited than ever to be moving back to Philly/living with my boyfriend.

After abandoning this blog for a while I started a pinterest and an instagram account. As if I need more internet monikers to keep up with, but instagram at least has made me want to document my time in Paris before it's gone.

Dear readers, any tips for what I should do for my last two weeks in Paris?
(view from top floor of UNESCO)
(by the Pantheon)
(midnight walk along the Seine)

3 comments:

  1. Silencio! If you haven't been there already!

    I know what you mean about the first month, I was the same when I lived in Denmark. As a big introvert it took me ages to get comfortable but luckily I had a whole year there.

    Glad you like Copenhagen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also an introvert. For all the moves I've made in the past few years, it takes me a while to adjust and to build real relationships with people. It's just my process. I eventually emerge. I've been going through something similar during my first months in DC.

    And also, even though I once relished my ability to travel alone, once Ethan and I met, it was kind of like I'd rather share these experiences with him. So I get it. How wonderful.

    I hope your last weeks in France are great. Are you getting out of the city at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend and I took a weekend trip out of the city to Mont Saint Michel and it was absolutely amazing. I'll make sure to post some photos soon, perhaps when I'm feeling super nostalgic :)

      Delete