Tuesday, October 08, 2013

a new beginning: work edition

This photo. This photo has been haunting me ever since Dead Fleurette posted it on her instagram. Her blog is now sadly defunct, but I hope she keeps the archives up because it was always such an inspiration for simplifying and decluttering. I look at this photo and think oh god I have way too many things in my closet, still.

Issue one: After sitting for most of the day in a pair of pants that have become a little too tight, I've realized that I need to rethink my wardrobe to fit my current needs. IMO, having a 9-5 job Monday-Friday means that at least 2/3 of my wardrobe should be suitable for work. A few categories in particular need some rethinking because I now spend about 45 minutes commuting by bike to and from work. Function, comfort, and not exposing myself on the streets of Philadelphia are key. So instead of pencil skirts I wear circle skirts and dresses with fuller skirts. I avoid wearing my suede APC boots because I'm afraid they'll get mangled by my pedals. I can still wear tight black jeans and tight-ish pants, but find that if I don't balance them out with a looser top I feel uncomfortable by after-lunch time. I don't think I need any new purchases to fill these criteria, but I think there's a lot in my wardrobe that I can weed out that just doesn't get much wear anymore.

Issue two: I'm sharing an apartment with my boyfriend and we don't have a full-length mirror in our bedroom or anywhere on the third or second floor. The only full-length mirror is on the first floor right by the front door. This means that I can check myself right before heading out the door, but it's impractical to try things on in the morning and run and up down the stairs to make sure I look ok. For the past month I've more or less cut this step out of getting dressed in the morning, and it only works when I know exactly how the clothes I own fit me. Some combinations are still a bit tricky and unpredictable, but this is further encouragement for me to pare down only the items that I can predict with 95%+ accuracy how they will fit and look in combination with each other.

Not really an issue, three: My off-day/weekend outfits are the easiest to (not) plan, because at this point I know that a breton + skinny jeans with loafers work every time. This is my "uniform" for fall weather and works through the winter with a jacket/coat + boots + scarf thrown on.

Issue four: My eyes hurt after work from looking at a computer screen all day and I'm trying to be more active. So this means less online browsing (but more regular blog updates!) and more reading actual books (feeling particularly inspired after watching Finding Forrester last night), joining a glow-in-the-dark Bocce Ball league, swing dance lessons, and hopefully a camping trip or two before the weather plummets into the winter cold.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate.
    Oh I do miss Dead Fleurette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only just discovered your blog (via LoGE) and I definitely do hope that there will be more frequent blog posts in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I have a few posts planned...things have just been busy between work and moving to a new apartment in two weeks!

      Delete